Sunday 4 March 2012

Mad March Hare Sportive Sunday 4th March 2012

I entered the Mad March Hare Sportive some time ago - I think it was described as a gentle, mid-distance, introduction to the Sportive season.
It is easy to get to, just south of Birmingham, easy to park, and only £12. The route was also very good, and would be quite enjoyable in good weather.
Unfortunately the weather was awful, and I hadn't realised that for the first 50 miles or so (which I did in just over 3 hours) we had the wind behind us and hadn't done most of the climbs.
It was very cold, very wet, windy, and it even snowed as we climbed the most difficult hill (out of Willersley).
To make matters worse, close to the finish me and a few others went off-course and did an extra 7 miles (the official distance is around 75 miles and I ended up doing 82 miles).
The bacon buttie and hot coffee at the end was good.

Details of the ride from Strava are below:


If you are going to enter a sportive like the Mad March Hare, then don't prepare like I did. Rather stupidly, I went out with someone from Chester Road Club on Saturday 3rd March (the day before the Sportive) and did a fairly rapid 52 miles around the Cheshire lanes. I did eat and drink a lot Saturday afternoon and evening, but I think I would have rode more strongly if I hadn't done the Saturday ride. Details of Saturday's ride below:

No comments:

Post a Comment